Sunday, December 19, 2010

"happy holidays"?????

One of my very great annoyances in life is the whole xmas season (I really should use the entire word "christmas", but CBF). Firstly it seems to start earlier and earlier each year, I'm sure I've seen xmas decorations in October?
I personally think there should be an unwritten law (perhaps even a written one?) that no one should be allowed to put up xmas decorations before December the 1st! I mean how much leeway should we be giving these giant retail conglomerates? Perhaps I'm being mean spirited you say? Well how about we start the festivities in August then?.....I mean really, where do you draw the line?....December the 1st I say:)
And who do we have to represent xmas anyhow? None other the Coca Cola Man, or Herr Claus if you prefer. Just look up wikipedia if you want to know the history of the Santa Claus character. And don't get me started on office decorations either, I can barely walk to my desk without shit hung up everywhere. And of course as for the usual suspects who put all these decorations up, if only they had shown so much care and attention to detail to their jobs as they do with this stuff, then maybe this industry that I work in (which will be revealed in due course) wouldn't be hanging by a thread!
And for people like me who would just like to pop into a shopping centre for 10 mins to pick up something (non xmas related), well you can forget about that....anyone tried driving to Chadstone at this time of year??? Unfortunately you can't avoid xmas being part of your life no matter how hard you try, it's in your face!
But who really profits from xmas the most? Ironically enough Jewish run department stores. While it's supposed to be "good for the economy" when we're all out buying gifts, studies have shown a large proportion of them will never be used by the recipient, yet our credit card bills continue to mount......I'm yet to be convinced that it's "good for the economy"?
But probably my biggest pet peeve about xmas is receiving xmas cards from real estate agents (or similar). Who the hell wants to receive an emotionless card from a faceless company? A xmas card should be a show of appreciation from a friend/relative to let you know they're thinking of you, not an acknowledgment of a client list! But maybe I wouldn't be so shitty about it if the card actually said "merry christmas", instead of "season's greetings", I mean what the hell is that really? Are we too terrified to actually use the word "christmas" in case of offending someone? The right wing media always try to play the anti muslim card at this time of year by dredging up a local council or something that's banned the nativity or the word christmas, but in reality the muslims have no issue with the the great "prophet" Jesus, it's infact the cafe latte inner city atheist PC crowd that try to subversively remove any hint of religion from xmas.
It really is quite ridiculous, infact a lawyer friend of mine told me how their court chambers xmas party is referred to as the "annual event"......I guess this predominantly Jewish crowd doesn't want to hear references to "Christ"?
But I guess at the end of the day, I'm actually a purist at heart, Xmas is about celebrating the birth of Christ, and I know that may be a little uncomfortable for probably close to 50% of the population these days, but that's what the day represents, not an old corporate logo in a red suit. We achieve little in the long run when we try to deceive ourselves into what we're actually celebrating.

4 comments:

  1. At this time xmas is mostly a commercial thing... but a very nice event for the kids who believe in the "Christkind" aka Santa Claus. That's so cute.... Nevertheless, Santa Claus is only a commercial thing... that CocaCola invented years ago....
    I am sure that most of the people don't know the real reason why the christians celebrate xmas with the xmas tree, huge dinner and stuff like that... it's not only to buy and receive presents which you not always like, also the big shopping malls make the most profit at this time... more than 1/3 of the annual profits....
    I am enjoying xmas because I have a nice cute nephew ... he wrote his xmas wishlist for his presents he wants to have... put it on the balcony so the Christkind can find it... that's really cute....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admittedly I didn't mention children, as it was more a rant about what gets on my nerves about the whole season. lol. But as a parent (or in my case, an uncle) most of us get into the whole Santa Claus and presents scenario. But when I look around me at a shopping mall, all I see are a lot of very stressed out parents chastising kids, or someone who's bumped into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some perspective, as a happily atheist fellow, I am weary of the "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" business myself. If you wish me a "Merry Christmas" I would be greatly appreciative. In fact, I hope you do! Not that I mind being wished "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings." It does not bother or offend me in the least. As much as I may appreciate an attempt to be "polite" or politically correct, I prefer "Merry Christmas" as a more meaningful statement.

    In fact, I make sure to say Merry Christmas to whomever I see unless I am unsure if they are Jewish. If I know they are not Jewish, what's the harm? Christmas is a "goyish" holiday, for everyone who wishes to celebrate it! Even Jews are welcome, but they don't want to for cultural reasons.

    What's the "real meaning" of the season, the "original reason for the season" again? To, celebrate the birth of Christ, right? Well, that may be a small part of the story, but Christmas is a pagan holiday that was made Christian for propagandistic reasons. Who was Jesus? Probably some crazy old Jewish guy who was no doubt very wise and kind, but also a bit eccentric. But he was also supposed to be extremely humble. If he came back to our time, he would probably, say "what the heck are you all doing?" "We're celebrating Christmas." "What?" "Your birthday, Jesus!" "What are you talking about? On December 25? Haven't you read the Gospels? Nothing but grassy hills for the shepherds. Does that sound like the dead of winter to you? Now go get me a beer!"

    I mean, Jesus was PROBABLY NOT even born on or near December 25. But the point is that the holiday has a long and complicated history. I love to point some of this out to piss off people on both the left and the right! Whether they are traditionalist types whining about the commercialization of Christmas, or left-leaning PC police insisting on a more inclusive "Happy Holidays."

    If anyone asks, "why are you saying 'Merry Christmas' when many people are not Christian?" I reply, "Neither am I. I was, I used to be, but I am no longer Christian. That does not keep me from enjoying the holiday." But then the subject of the Jews comes up. Who else would get so offended? Well maybe the Moslems now...

    Just my $0.02!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're quite right anon about Dec 25 being a hyjacked Pagan celebration. While trying to correctly learn the actual birth date of Jesus of Nazareth is an exercise in futility, at least we've settled on a day that allows people of a Christian faith to enjoy being together in celebration......but do we really need the guy in the red sui to be there too? :)

    ReplyDelete