Monday, May 23, 2011

why Asia?

After reading this story on mysterious tourist deaths in Thailand see here it just helps to reinforce why I NEVER holiday in Asia. People ask me all the time, "why do you go to Greece every year?" and "what have you got against Asia?". Well I guess that there's a chance that they'll feed you rat poison is a disincentive for a start!
I'm sure I don't need to highlight the attractions of Europe here, but all I can say is that Asia just offers no incentive for me. The fact that its a poor region with high corruption and unforgiving law enforcement does not endear me it at all. Or perhaps it was Paul Keating's (alleged) remark back in 1990 that "Asia is the arse end of the world" and "somewhere you fly over on your way to Europe" that struck a cord?
In the meantime, you all can continue getting drunk in Bali, or visiting sex shows in Bangkok, but if you're looking for me, I'll be on a sandy beach somewhere in the southern Peloponnese.

4 comments:

  1. It was Australia he was talking about in regard to arse end of the world.

    Savvas Tzionis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they want to pat the (drugged up) Balinese tiger? Which is not the original indigenous tiger (which was wiped out).

    Savvas Tzionis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still shake my head at the thought of that permanently tranquilised tiger, for the amusement of tourists?

    ReplyDelete