Wednesday, May 18, 2011

more public transport shambles

I was interested to read about the rail chaos caused last Friday when an "unprecedented" amount of train drivers allegedly went off sick read it here .
My sources in the rail industry tell me however that while there were "sickies" on the Friday night, it was nothing far different from any other miserable cold winter's night. The issue is one of competent management (sadly lacking apparently?), like I've stated previously this antiquated rail system relies on the goodwill of it's staff to operate at a respectable level. For example, if train drivers choose to not work on their rostered day off, then that immediately increases the chances of a driver shortage on any given day.
And as has been explained to me, the way the rosters and pay structure works, if drivers have already had an additional shift during the pay fortnight, then many consider it not worth their while to work on the last Friday of the pay fortnight.
So it should be highlighted once again that it's not the drivers that create the roster scenarios, but management, which as I've stated, does not appear to be the greatest?

No comments:

Post a Comment