Friday, January 7, 2011

see you in Tuscany?

I couldn't help but chuckle after reading this article in The Australian about women packing up and romantically heading for Tuscany see here in search of spiritual awakening, love, etc etc.
Apparently Tuscany is full of disenchanted Anglo English speaking women who've seen one too many movies romanticising the Italian lifestyle (and there's surely a second wave coming after the deluded see that Julia Roberts movie?) and have packed their bags and headed for Italia.
I guess one of the reasons I chuckle at all this is because once they meet their Fabio and fall madly in love, they'll soon find out that there's almost a 100% chance that he'll cheat on them.....sorry.....but it's in the Italian DNA. (ps. I've previously been chastised for making such wide ranging judgements, but I refuse to recant!)
But alas, at least it keeps these women out of my precious Messinia, truly one of the most magnificent regions in the Mediterranean. The last thing we want in Messinia is a bunch of wide eyed 40 something women wondering around looking for run down houses to renovate. It's bad enough that they've built that awful golf resort in Pylos, but that's a gripe for another time.
Even putting aside my male viewpoint, I don't really see what the special attraction is with Tuscany? It's no better or worse than a thousand spots dotted along the Mediterranean, but I guess since they made a movie about it, then that's the place we have to go? I think that tells you something about the psychology of human behavior, like sheep following the crowd!

No comments:

Post a Comment