Saturday, January 1, 2011

Corruption in the west

While I'm often quick to criticise the duplicity of the English speaking democracies who claim to always be acting benevolently, yet under examination are usually found to be acting in their own self interest (to the detriment of others), I will acknowledge one thing that I'm thankful for growing up in Australia;
As the latest World Corruption index shows see here nations like Australia, NZ and Canada rank highly for their low levels of systematic corruption. Surprisingly the UK and the US rank a little unimpressively.....perhaps this may be in part due to their recent economic woes which provide a fertile breeding ground for corruption to flourish? 
I suspect though that the usually incorruptible civil services of these Anglo English speaking countries has allot to do with their Protestant puritanical roots? There's so much I don't like about these common cultures, but when you compare the UK's public sector with its Indian or Pakistani offspring.....you can see that we do owe the puritans a little gratitude.
So there, to all those who've accused me of always being negative, I do have SOMETHING nice to say about the Anglo world.
Best to start the new year off on a positive I guess:)

2 comments:

  1. And you also loved cricket... until Gillespie's 200 against Banglagesh (or some pathetic Test nation). :)

    Savvas Tzionis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I've stated previously, the Pakistan Taliban must've had that innings in mind when they accused the game of cricket of blasphemy?

    ReplyDelete